Monday, May 4, 2009

when's it my turn?

I wanted just one decision that had no factor of money. One decision where I didn't have to think about the financial consequences of it. 
One.
But here I go. Stepping onto the plank again. 
I should have stayed. Sure, I would have practically starved myself and possibly frozen to death walking back and forth to work to save money, but I would have a job come June.
My hands are tied with the rope of this crappy economy.
I can't believe I'm here again. At this place where both options seem like the right one. But they both could be wrong, since I'm apparently not a very good judge of options.

And I'm apparently having hot flashes. It's 68 in the apt and I feel like I'm gonna die.

My little sister's in the front seat with an ice cream cone
My ma's in the black seat sittin' all alone
As my pa steers her slow out of the lot for a test drive down Michigan Avenue

Now, my ma, she fingers her wedding band
And watches the salesman stare at my old man's hands
He's tellin' us all 'bout the break he'd give us if he could, but he just can't
Well if I could, I swear I know just what I'd do

Now, mister, the day the lottery I win I ain't ever gonna ride in no used car again

Now, the neighbours come from near and far
As we pull up in our brand new used car
I wish he'd just hit the gas and let out a cry and tell 'em all they can kiss our asses goodbye

My dad, he sweats the same job from mornin' to morn
Me, I walk home on the same dirty streets where I was born
Up the block I can hear my little sister in the front seat blowin' that horn
The sounds echoin' all down Michigan Avenue

Now, mister, the day my numbers comes in I ain't ever gonna ride in no used car again